In the age of modern dentistry, just about every patient can enjoy a whiter and brighter smile through teeth whitening, which is one of the easiest ways to improve the appearance of your smile. If you struggle with dark teeth, our dentists and team can help you identify the cause and review your options for teeth whitening.
Common reasons for tooth darkening include:
– Age: Over the years, tooth enamel wears down and exposes the dentin, an under layer that looks yellower. Brushing your teeth harshly over time can wear away the enamel faster, which is why you should brush gently with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
– Tobacco: If you often use tobacco, whether it be chewing tobacco, pipes, cigarettes, or cigars, the tar and nicotine exposed to your teeth can stain the enamel from white to a more yellowish brown.
– Medications: Certain medications include tooth darkening as a side effect. These include some blood pressure treatments, antipsychotics, and antihistamines. Tetracycline, doxycycline, and other antibiotics can darken the teeth of babies.
– Tooth trauma: If sports or an accident has cause an injury in your mouth, the tooth may create more dentin as a healing result, yellowing the teeth.
– Drinks: Your favorite drinks may be the cause of tooth darkening since wine, tea, and coffee contain pigments known as chromogens that stain the tooth enamel by attaching to it.
If you have noticed your smile becoming darker and would like to look into your options for tooth whitening in Boise, Idaho, call Tree City Family Dental at 208-286-2699 today and arrange a consultation with our dentists, Drs. Connaughton and Bator.